So you’re a marketer and you love the fact that you can work from home and all the benefits that go with it. But lately you haven't been getting as much done, you feel stressed a lot of the time and you thought working from home was supposed to be stress free. The truth is that working from home is less stress than working for someone else in a job, but there are some stressers that can affect you. They are different than that dead end job you worked where no one appreciated you and you spent more money on gas getting there than you made. But none the less there is stress and I would like to offer My Tips for Stress Relief.
1. Your friends think that because you work from home that means you are available 24/7 to do whatever they need or to talk to them on the phone.
2. Outside things tempt you away from the computer, housework, kids, running errands and Oh yes, let's not forget that television that you leave on "just for the noise."
3. If you are a social media marketer then there is also the ever present temptation to get swept away by games and seeing what everyone else is up to online. I know, chatting and building relationships is the name of the game, but there is a difference between building a relationship with someone as a potential customer/associate and chatting with your dear friend Bobby Jo about what happened last night at the bar or which item on the farm gifts list you want her to send you next.
4. Being a self-motivated, organized boss that shows up everyday and puts in the effort to make things happen produces stress too because if the work doesn't get done no money comes in you have no one to blame but yourself.
5. Let's not forget the financial stressers. You thought this was going to solve all your financial woes, really fast, without you having to spend a dime, right? But that didn't happen exactly as planned. Your somewhat of a success but there is stress because you have to spend and you were not an overnight "I got rich" success story.
Now that we have discussed some ways that you experience stress from working at home let me assure you. Yes! Working at home is still better than going off to work a job, where you earn more money for someone else than you will ever bring home from there yourself.
Unless you have your webcam on of course. -------->
Now how about those Online Marketing Stress Solutions I mentioned in the beginning.
According to "The World's Greatest Treasury of Health Secrets" by Bottom Line Publishing (2009 edition), the way to influence how stress affects you and shorten its duration is by having a healthy sense of control over your life and where you are headed. The following are some tips I use to accomplish that.
My Tips for Stress Relief #1
This one is relatively straight forward and I am sure you have heard it before. Be Proactive and schedule your work time into shorter time spans that allow for you to do other things like: being available when the kids get home, watching tv or house cleaning.
My Tips for Stress Relief #2
It is good to take breaks for yourself, even if its just walking away from the computer/phone/work space for 5 minutes to clear your head and take a few deep breathes. This will allow you to clear your thoughts and refocus on the task at hand. It is essential though that you do not allow these breaks to include, games, television or hanging on Face Book. These things provide a perfect distraction that will quickly eat up your day. Refer back to tip number one and schedule a time for each of these tasks so the temptation is not so great.
My Tips for Stress Relief #3
Be assertive and know when to say no. Tell your friends and family the hours you are working and expect them to honor that. If they have a problem adjusting just gently but firmly remind them and offer to do whatever they wish at a time when you are off work. Remind them that you are the boss and if you don't do the work it won't get done and no work, means no money.
Build your confidence in yourself and understand that you are not going to be able to please everyone, but you will please no one if you are trying to be everyone's best friend and do it all. Remember kids do deserve your time, but they also need to learn how to entertain themselves, to share your time, and how to cope with the word "no" to be well rounded, happy and caring adults.
My Tips for Stress Relief #5
Learn to be happy with life. Sure bad things happen, but when they do ask yourself "Is stressing over this going to change anything? Is it worth dying for?" (Stress causes more health issues than anything I am aware of) then let go of the things you cannot change, deal with what you can and move on, and remember my favorite motto:
"It's not about the good or the bad, we all have both on a daily basis, It's about where your focus is. Where's yours?"
As soon as I realized that one statement was true my life changed and I was able to see all the things in life that were good that I had previously missed and let go of the things that were wrongly stressing me.
My Tips for Stress Relief #6
Stop believing the hype telling you that you don't have to do anything and searching for that pot of gold under the rainbow:
You can't get something for nothing, I don't care what anyone says. You can start out with little to no expense and if you want to but you will have to work really, really hard at it and spend long hours of your time "working" the business so you can make something. But eventually if you want to hit the big time you will have to invest something to get more of something. So be prepared, have a plan of action, outsource the more tedious daily tasks or things you aren't good at and make a budget of what you can afford monthly and stick to it.
Learn to laugh at life. So you split the milk, its only milk and not worth stressing over. Laugh at your goof up, clean it up and move on.
Yes, the computer is acting like molasses on a cold day, don't just sit there and complain, look for answers and be happy you are learning how to fix it so you can teach others and make yourself look smarter. :-)
Know that with a little time and a few honest days of work the money will start coming in, you can do more of the things you enjoy in life because you not need to put in as much time working. And that my friend, is what makes the time spent building your work from home business worth it all.
To Your Every Success
To learn some really cool tips on building your marketing business click the link below.