1. To combat those that have nothing better to do than upset peoples lives by taken over their facebook or skype. Always ask when a"friend" posts on your wall, "Come check this out..."or "I am using this application now come try it."
2. It is one of the Simple Things to Remember to Never, Never click links that you did not request, without first confirming that it is from your friend. EVEN if the friend types a message with the link. I have found "bots", viruses, and hackers do not respond to queries and if, on rare occasion, they do, it is easy to spot that it is not your friend.
Some tips that are Simple Things to Remember For my female friends:
3. If the friend request starts with or the conversation starts with: "I saw your profile and you are lovely" or any version of that. RUN, FAST to the delete/block option and remove them.
4. If they ask if you are married and how old you are in the first few conversations...delete them, they are scammers looking for women, usually in their 40's, that they think will be easy prey because they are alone.
Another easy rule of thumb that is Simple to Remember:
5. If you see that the page of a man asking to friend you is mostly or all females, has generic or no information related to business, and is usually representing himself as being young, then he is most likely not looking for business contacts and rarely wants to be just friends. Sometimes, just for fun; I will accept them, then throw them a business opportunity that costs significant money. If they are a scammer or up to no good they will refuse on the basis that it costs them money, without ever looking at it.
6. This one is a given Simple thing to Remember, if they ask for connection in skype or anywhere, in a language not your own, chances are they are NOT looking for just friends, hit ignore and move on. Besides why would you want to connect with someone that cannot speak your own language or at least one that you speak? Translators are great, and in the business world that is a must. But at least be able to say hello in the language of the one you wish to speak with.
Finally, if you do wind up with ads all over your page or fake posts going out to all your friends, don't panic, go to your account and change your password...if it is an application remove it first and then change your password. Oh and just in case: write down or save your contacts to another location so if you get locked out you can recover much faster. Happy Surfing my friends and Remember the Simplest Things can make the difference between hack 'em or whack 'em and you want to be the whacker.
For more info on Kathy's businesses or to learn more ways to promote yourself online in any business, click the link and send me a friend request! http://www.facebook.com/cooleykat